Sunday, July 14, 2013

Being an Indian Police Service Officer - an IPS

Everytime I watch movies like  - Sarfarosh , Gangaajal or Sehar , all I want to be, in this life is - an IPS officer. 

You may think its the power and the pride that comes with the post which an IPS officer holds or some of you may say its the sheer status the word IPS reflects upon one. 

The perks like most of us know, is having an unprecedented power, ( used to-be) a lal-batti , a huge team which does ' Jai Hind ' and a whole lot of a new world .





Given, I have had a good fortune to be in a family of friends who are IPS and know and understand from them what is it being an IPS officer most of the above mentioned movies or may be the image we tend paint in our minds is very different from what actually is an IPS officer and what all does s/he undergoes to be one.

I would put my take on this and share with you all my thoughts on how & what is a life of an IPS.

Studying is just a part of it.

The civil services examinations are considered not only the toughest in Indian competitive examination scenarios but also one of the most mentally challenging exams.

People prepare, study, burn the midnight oil and entire nights and days for years before they actually take the exam.

Post a tough three stage process a candidate finally makes to a personal interview round. 

And no ! It's not your typical B-school or a corporate interview. 
Its an experience which is hard to describe.

The cadres are allocated and the journey begins. 

A long endless journey wherein a not so fairer future awaits. Transfers, promotions,  “going on leave” , or not being on duty but still being a part of the unit and so on. Life for them, is indeed full of surprises.

It’s a tough life. You mess up with the messiest of the people  doing the most dirtiest of things and in the process you too get a bit dirty.

How many of us would have thought the very thought of sleeping with a gun under the pillow ?   Such is a life of these officers.

The families are tensed, the children move schools faster than they celebrate their birthdays. Wives have no options but to put up a brave face always since they never know when they will  be all alone and get the life moving.

Holidays are short and festivals are limited to the general public. While we all sleep in the comfort of our home, party hard and attend brunches, remember someone somewhere is chasing a gang, fighting for life and yes, saving many !!


It looks an easy job when you see it from far but believe me its not only hard but something which many people can’t even think of doing.

From our side, the least we can do is to thank them for being there for us.
Share a smile with them since they work hard to ensure a smile on our faces and be with them when they need us.


I can write on and on since I love this profession and the people associated with it and every  time I meet an officer all I say besides 'thank you' is Jai Hind . 


After a patriotic post, a small insight in the world of an IPS and the universe of astrology.

My astrotip for this is that to be an IPS officer one needs a strong combination of - Sun and Mars in their horoscopes since these two planets are fiery, full of life, leaders with a never say die attitude and this is what an IPS officer links back to. 

****

This is also one of my most read + searched blog posts. Thank you for all the praises.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post sir, I also wanted to be an IPS but life took me overseas. I still feel I have messed up things by not attempting Civil Services.

Karan said...

No worries dear friend . Life already has plans for you and destiny has already started implementing those plans .

Remember, everyone of us can do their bit of our country even if we aren't part of the services sector .

Keep working hard and keep doing your bit.

cheers/karan

Anonymous said...

Any insight into my astro chart..and u have my dtls :P...Abhishek

Karan said...

@Abhi - Your destiny is already taking you places . So , no worries :)

Anonymous said...

sir i want to b an ips officer..bt in a dilemma frm where to start,please guide me

Karan said...

The first and the foremost thing before to start preparing for any entrance exam let apart civil services is to understand the "why" in question. Why do you want to take the exam and then if cleared, want to become an IPS.

If you have the answer of this key question , the next step is to prepare for the exam with guidance from either a reputed coaching institute or from someone who has taken the exam .

Start taking the online test so that you know which areas to work on and which ones to refine.

Details - http://education.portalforjobs.com/2013/07/ips-syllabus.html

All the best !

Unknown said...

Sir ,
Your post have truly motivated my inner soul having to pursue my dream of becoming an IPS officer . Truly it's not a cake walk , it's not about the pride as well .. all we need is determination and patriotism as you have mentioned sir .. looking forward to give this exams and become a part of the family . God bless . Thanking you Sir
Rahul Bangera

Karan said...

Dear Rahul,

Wishing you all the best for your life and career . Stay blessed.

Rahul Shukla said...

Hats Off to your Blog Karan. I am impressed from your Blog. It seems you are very passionate about the IPS services. I would like to get in touch with you. Can we be friends ,if you don't mine.
I am a final year graduation student.I am looking forward to serve my country by being an IPS officer.I am preparing for it since a long time.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Amrendra Shukla,
amrendra.shukla1@gmail.com.
(You can write me at my email id.)

Karan said...

@ Rahul - Thank you for your kind words . Wishing you all the best for the civil services . I am sure you will do well . Let me know if I can be of any help in this journey of yours.

indro said...

SIR FIRST OF ALL THANK U VERY MUCH FOR TELLING US THE REAL LYF OF AN IPS OFFICER WHICH WOULD BENEFIT US A LOT TO HAVE A STRONG MENTALITY.SIR HATS OF TO U FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY FOR SO MANY YEARS... SIR I M AN FIRST YEAR STUDENT OF GRADUATE COURSE I TOO WANT TO BECOME AN IPS OFFICER WHICH IS MY DRAM AND MOTIVE FROM CHILDHOOD...SIR UR BLOG HAS INSPIRED ME MORE AHEAD TOWARDS THE FEELING TO BECOME AN IPS OFFICER..SIR I KNOW THE PATH WILL NOT BE SMOOTHER BUT I WILL TRY MY LEVEL BEST TO BECOME AN IPS OFFICER .SIR PLEASE BLESS NOT ONLY ME BUT ALL THE ASPIRED STUDENT WHO WANT TO BECOME AN IPS OFFICER...SIR PLEASE SHARE PLEASE GIVE SOME GUIDANCE OF HOW TO PREPARE FOR INDIAN CIVIL SERVICE EXAM AND WHAT SORT OF MENTALITY WE SHOULD ALWAYS HVE WHEN WE PREPARE FOR SUCH SORT OF EXAMINATION???SIR THANKING U ......JAI HIND....

Karan said...

@Indro - Thanks for the note. There are no shortcut to success . All you need a dedication , devotion and pure hard work. Keep the focus and stay positive . The people who make the cut are people like you.

All the best and wish you every success .

V P Selwin said...

dear sir, i feel i can only get satisfaction from policing -ips, but my situation is that am a married guy , both my side and my wife side family will be no more helpful or caring and simply against us .so at any cost i cannot leave my wife alone.so pls suggest me that is there a possibility to maintain my family and my policing profession. I'm totally confused and unable to prepare for cse...pls advice me on this from ur realtime view.

Karan said...

@ VP Selwin - The first step on your journey in being an IPS is – commitment . Commitment to your country ,family & self . The balance needs to be decided by you and your wife can help you in the same. IPS is not an easy profession but then life itself is not a cake walk . Sit and discuss with your wife the action plan and thoughts. Then go for it . The more you delay the more confused you will become . All the best . Stay positive .

Anonymous said...

Hello sir i am P.kumar preparing for Civil service my goal is to become an IPS officer, i know about physical standards required for IPS but what if a IPS officer lose his arm or leg in fighting with criminals or in accident in duty wheather he retain his job or he is removed from service.???

Karan said...

@P Kumar - First preference will be to place him/her in off field duty where he/she can work properly .But if physical incapacity is such that no work can be assigned to him/her then the officer may be relieved from services with due benefits . Not sure though as removing frm services is rare in govt. jobs.

Unknown said...

hi sir
my name is yashita and right now i m in 11 class my dream is to be an IPS officer and my parents dream is to see me as an IPS officer.
Thank u sir it is so inspirational for me to go ahead for UPSC.

Aloha on the Ganges

2021 has been occupying to start with. It felt as if January had 365 days and not just 31 days. Have met some lost souls, some damaged soul...